Spring Roofing Tips to Keep You Safe and Sound
Spring is here and it’s time to clean and get ready for the changing season. What simple steps can be taken to improve your home’s value besides dusting and vacuuming? Alyssa Hall from GAF, North America’s Largest Roofing manufacturer, is an expert on things related to homes and roofs. Alyssa has provided the tips below to protect your roof this Spring as well as new trends and styles that will make your roof stand out and increase the value of your home. Below are her key roof tips for the Spring. Let us know if you are interested in having Alyssa on to speak or to review the Spring Roof Tips and demonstrate how your roof can “spruce” up your home’s look.
1. Start off by checking the roof framing structure to make sure it is not compromised. Visually scan the roof for any sagging or uneven areas.
2. Inspect the gutter systems to make sure they are not clogged with branches, leaves, or other debris.
3. Make sure that gutters are fastened properly and are tight and secure so that they don’t cause overflow and build-up or fall off the fascia board.
4. Check the valleys of the roof to ensure that they are also free and clear of debris that can add weight to the roof and also act as a barrier to rain.
5. Metal flashing should also be used around roof vents, pipes, skylights, and chimneys. One of the most common causes for roofing leaks is due to problems with flashing.
6. Walk around to carefully inspect the shingles on the roof – look for curling edges, missing granules, etc.