Great Late August Chores You Never Thought Of
By John Voket
As summer comes to a close, it can be difficult to start thinking about battening down for fall when it seems like summer just arrived. But if homeowners are looking for a few good August projects that will see them through to next summer, Danny Lipford at todayshomeowner.com had a bunch of great ideas.
Lipford says a couple of important chores that nobody ever really thinks about, involve cleaning and maintaining ventilation systems in your bathroom and range hood. These are two prime indoor chores that can be taken care of in the coming weeks.
Cleaning the vent fan annually will keep it running quietly and efficiently. To clean a bathroom vent fan, Lipford says:
- Turn the power off to the fan.
- Remove the cover - on most fans you pull down on the cover to extend it, then compress the spring wires on each side to take it off.
- Use a brush or vacuum to remove dust from the cover, then scrub it in soapy water.
- Vacuum out dust from inside the fan box and wipe off the blades.
- Spray the moving parts with silicone lubricant to help it run smoothly and quietly.
- Replace the vent fan cover and turn the power back on.
- Check to see if the fan is working properly. If not, remove and replace the vent fan motor.
Lipford says your range hood, or over range microwave fan, needs to be cleaned regularly to remove built-up grease:
- Start by thoroughly cleaning the range hood or microwave inside and out with a citrus-based cleaner.
- Be sure to clean the top, sides, and even underneath, to remove all that cooking grime. Wear gloves and be careful of sharp metal edges.
- Remove the grease filter from the fan, and clean it in hot, soapy water; or run it in the dishwasher.
- If you can reach the fan blades, turn the power off to the fan, and wipe them down as well.